Privacy, deception or just outright lies
Privacy, deception or just outright lies
When I think about identity or more specifically, my own identity, my
mind instantly and automatically thinks of birth certificates and driver
licences. When asked today in BA1002
lecture class to define the word ‘identity’ in one word to make an alien understand
the meaning (Kuttainen, 2019), I realised there’s more to identity than just
the typical details such as name and date of birth, usually found on official
documents. Everyone has their own idea
on what identity means to them. As
previously mentioned, I am socially illiterate and possibly ignorant when it
comes to online social networking as I have very little experience, and this is
only the second time I have ever posted or blogged about anything.
So, is this true or is this merely what I want you to think?
Identity is an amazing thing, we all have it,
yet, it means different things to different people. A person’s identity defines who they are,
however, Identity is never final and continues to develop through the lifespan (Heshmat,
2014). A person’s identity can have the
ability to shape peoples or the community’s views on a particular subject. Identity online in social networking circles
can also have big impacts or serious consequences as they influence followers
to adapt their ideas and behaviours. A
fine example of identity misconduct is Belle Gibson, who identified as a cancer
survivor on Facebook. Belles claims to
cure cancer was significantly dangerous as she influenced followers to adopt
her healing methods that were not scientifically proven.
![]() |
| Image 1. Controlling your online identity
(Independent Fashion Bloggers, n.d.) |
Have you ever read about someone through social networking sites, living
it up, on a holiday, at expensive hotels, happily married and all the photos
that prove a wonderful life only to find out months later that their life is
very different to the photos or happy posts portrayed on Facebook? Finding out that they are constantly in and
out of rehab or lost their business due to excessive living was never mentioned
among the happy holiday snaps that in reality was a holiday to restore an
otherwise failing marriage. This may
seem like an extreme case however this is really happening but at what point
does your privacy or your choice to retain or filter personal information to
the rest of the world, become a deception.
Is it not your prerogative to pick and choose what others know about you
in the real world and in the virtual world?
References
Heshmat, S. (2014). Basics of Identity. Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/science-choice/201412/basics-identity
Identity. (2019). Merriam Webster. Retrieved from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/identity
Independent Fashion Bloggers. (n.d.). Controlling your online identity [Image]. Retrieved from https://heartifb.com/pros-cons-online-identity/
Kuttainen, V. (2019). BA1002: Our Space: Networks, narratives, and
the making of place, lecture week 4: Self Community Identity. [PowerPoint file].
Retrieved from http://learn.jcu.edu.au
Orenstein, P. (2010). The way we live now: I tweet, therefore I am. The New York Times Magazine (July 30),
1. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/magazine/01wwln-lede-t.html
Rayner, T. (2012). Foucault and social media: I tweet, therefore I
become. Retrieved from https://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/foucault-and-social-media-i-tweet-therefore-i-become/

Hi Kelly,
ReplyDeleteYou have raised some very interesting points in this post and back up your points with great references. I love the second paragraph in particular as it highlights the importance of understanding identity is different for each person.