Mapping our place in the world
Mapping our place in the world
I
have chosen this week to write my blog about space and place. I found the lecture and tutorial to be extremely
interesting. A subject that can be
explored in so many different directions.
Just defining Space
and Place
and understanding how the two affect each other is not a simple as a dictionary
extract. Following the tutorial, I could
not help but think about how a house is just a house until you give it meaning,
and then becomes a home. This raises
more questions, if a place is a space with my values and meanings, what happens
when I am gone? Does this place revert
back to a space? I assume not, as this
place has other associations from human interactions. My home is the centre of my world, it is a hub
of activity, buzzing with children and containing all the things dear to me. A specific area that has acquired a felt value
and meaning (Tuan, 1977), a house that has been transformed over years into a
home, a special safe place for me and my kids.
This
was even more evident in the map of Townsville that our class was asked to draw
during lecture (Kuttainen, 2019). Without
giving it much thought, I found I had scribbled out a mud map. In the centre of the page was a box that contained
the words ‘my home’. Branching out from the
‘my home’ box (which was disproportionally large), were very basic roads that
led to Kirwan High school, Weir primary school and the JCU campus, a network of
common places I visit daily. There was
very little of anything else, other than a bridge that linked my home to the JCU. Judging by the size of the bridge, compared
to other landmarks I drew, it is obvious that the bridge was not nearly as
significant or important as the other more prominent boxes I mentioned above. Even though I was given sufficient enough
time to draw more, I still found that this was the extent of my Townsville map.
This
was interesting to me, as I have grown up in Townsville, therefore, I am
familiar with nearly every corner of Townsville, yet I had somehow shrunk
Townsville down to the size of one suburb containing 5 boxes indicating
landmarks, 1 set of arched small parallel lines representing a bridge and 5 straight
lines for roads. It was obvious to me
that my home is the central theme in my map and my life. I guess in one sense
it is my perspective of Townsville. Of
course, it is by no means, an accurate or true map in anyone’s eyes, except mine. It contained only places that are of
significant interest or are familiar to me.
I can guarantee no one else in the class sketched the same map as I did,
even though we were all drawing a map of Townsville.
The
virtual world of Facebook also gives people a space or blank canvas to work
on. A space that, with the help of
photos, memories, ideas and views, transforms into a place of meaning. In many ways Facebook reminds me of the dandies
or flânerie’s of Paris in the early nineteenth century, that would parade an
image to people “offering themselves up as spectacles in their own right” (Prouty,
2009). Does this sound familiar?
![]() |
| Image 1. The dandies of Facebook (Funtoosh, n.d.) |
Technology
advancements in computers and internet networking, have allowed for this
similar behaviour to be carried out at a distance from the comfort of your own
home. A practice that is common and
globally accepted by all cultures of people, is merely the same behaviour of
the dandies that projected am image of their privileged lifestyle regardless of
the truth. Unlike the flânerie’s of the Paris
arcades that only flourished for a short period of time (Prouty, 2009), social
networking is a culture born to technology and has become the new way of life.
References
Funtoosh.
(n.d.). The dandies of Facebook
[Image]. Retrieved from http://www.funtoosh.com/pictures/funny_picture.php?id=1215
Kuttainen,
V. (2019). BA1002: Our Space: Networks, narratives, and the making of place,
lecture week 6: Space and Place. [PowerPoint file]. Retrieved from
http://learn.jcu.edu.au
Place.
(n.d.) In Dictionary.com dictionary.
Retrieved from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/place?s=t
Prouty,
R. (2009). A turtle on a leash. Retrieved from
https://onewaystreet.typepad.com/one_way_street/2009/10/a-turtle-on-a-leash.html
Space.
(n.d.) In Dictionary.com dictionary.
Retrieved from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/space?s=t
Tuan,
Y. (1977). Space and place: The perspective of experience. Minneapolis,
Minnesota: University of Minnesota.

Comments
Post a Comment